Now that you have picked out your Dachshund and brought your new friend home, it is time to give them a good name. A name is something that reflects our personality. It says a lot about who we are.
That’s why you shouldn’t name your dog at random. You’ll have to carefully take into account your dog’s characteristics and try to match them with a comprehensive list of Dachshund names to see if there’s any that suits them perfectly.
That said, figuring out where to begin can be difficult. You’ve probably just adopted the dog very recently, so chances are, you still haven’t spent enough time with them to have their personality all figured out.
Thankfully, you can name them based on other things, such as their coloring, their gender, or your own aspiration. Naming them after something or someone you want them to grow up to resemble is also a great idea.
Still stuck on what Dachshund name you want? Look no further as we have compiled all the best Dachshund dog names for you to look over. We have everything from ordinary to extraordinary names. There is bound to be the right name for you and your Dachshund on this page.
Famous Dachshund Dogs Owned by Celebrities
The Dachshund is a popular dog. Their unusual body shape and endearing personality has earned them the love of many, and yes, that includes the high society.
If you are looking for some famous Dachshund dog names for your male or female Doxies, you could check out the below list. All the names below are inspired by celebrity Dachshund dogs.
- Amos: Andy Warhol.
- August: E.B. White.
- Boodgie: David Hockney.
- Bulle: Jасԛuеѕ Cоuѕtеаu.
- Boy: Queen Victoria.
- Charlie: John Wayne.
- Clyde: Wayne Gretzky.
- Cilly: Max Schmeling.
- Commissioner: Carole Lombard & Clark Gable.
- Dunker: John F. Kennedy.
- Dash: Mary Tyler Moore.
- Deckel: Queen Victoria.
- Eva: Dita Von Teese.
- Fred: E.B. White.
- Faussete: Napoleon Bonaparte.
- Girlie: Brooke Astor.
- Grеnоuіllе: Napoleon Bonaparte.
- Greta: Dita Von Teese
- Helena: William Randolph Hearst.
- Hexl: Kaiser Wilhelm II.
- Jed: P.G. Wodehouse.
- Loeki: Napoleon.
- Lump: Pablo Picasso.
- Louie: Adele.
- Maria: Marlon Brando.
- Minnie: E.B. White.
- Ozzy: George Harrison.
- Robinson: Dorothy Parker.
- Rommel: Mark Badgley.
- Rome: Ingrid Bergman.
- Skip: Teddy Roosevelt.
- St. tropez: Brigitte Bardo.
- Stanley: David Hockney.
- Senta: Kaiser Wilhelm II.
- Whiskey: James Mischka.
- Wadl: Kaiser Wilhelm II.
- Wаldі: The first-ever mascot of the Olympics held in Munich 1972.
Adorable Dachshund Dogs on Instagram
Dachshund is a popular breed, and they are even popular on the Internet. If you are looking for some cool and recognizable Dachshund dog names for your Wiener puppies, you could consider drawing inspiration from these Instagram celebrity Dachshund dogs.
- Princess Lilo
- Scrappy Doo
Our Favorite Dachshund Names for Your Wieners
- Beau: French for «handsome; admirer; sweetheart.» Its use as a given name is probably due to the character of Beau Wilks in Margaret Mitchell’s «Gone with the Wind.»
- Betsy: A short form of Elizabeth. It means «God’s promise.» It’s a short and sweet name that’s perfect for a country Dachshund.
- Bruno: German for “brown.” Dachshunds tend to sport a gorgeous black coat that has shades of brown in it when the sunlight hits it just the right way.
- Briley: Briar wood. Also a throwback to the Dachshund’s gorgeous coat.
- Cody: Irish for “a helper.” It’s a short and sweet name with a meaning that suits the excitable and eager Dachshund.
- Daisy: Henry James named the typical American girl in Europe as Daisy Miller in his story. Dachshunds are so popular in both the US and Europe that this name suits them perfectly.
- Doxie: It’s a nickname commonly used when referring to a Dachshund.
- Dolce: Because Dachshunds are always so “sweet.”
- Ernie: “Earnest, serious.” Does this sound like your Dachshund?
- Gingerbread: Another nod to the Dachshund’s beautiful dark-colored coat. Can also refer to their sweet personality, with just a hint of spice in it.
- Herman: It refers to a man who serves in the army in German. Although your Dachshund may not be a warfare dog, there’s no harm in respecting his heritage.
- Hermes: A Greek god associated with speed and good luck. Dachshunds may have short legs, but they can be quite fast on their feet.
- Lucy: Latin for “light” The Dachshund’s cheery attitude never fails to bring light into our lives.
- Oscar: “Friend of the deer.” Short as they may be, the Dachshund was bred as a hunting dog. Their main target might have been the badger, but they can track down deers too.
- Otto: German for “wealth.”
- Sarah: “Princess.” In the bible, Sarah was exceptionally beautiful even into her older years. The Dachshund is a breed that retains their youthful energy well into their old age.
- Schnitzel: Germanic delicacy. A thin slice of veal or other light meat, coated in breadcrumbs and fried.
- Tootsie: “A girl or a young woman.” It sounds cute and fitting for your Dachshund, doesn’t it?
- Wiggles: Dachshunds are so short that when they wag their tail hard enough, it looks like their entire rear is wiggling.
A Complete Collection of Dachshund Dog Names
Couldn’t find a name that sounds right from the lists above? No worries; you’ll definitely find it here, in this complete and exhaustive list of good Dachshund names. Good Dachshund names don’t have to focus on the dog’s sausage shape.
They can reflect their unique spirit, cool attitude, or beautiful coat pattern. The list below contains both female Dachshund names and male Dachshund names.
|Abby||Father is rejoicing||Female||Hebrew|
|Alysia||Of noble kind||Female||French|
|Arlen||Land with hares||Male||English|
|Armando||Man in the army||Male||Germanic|
|Ashwin||Of great wealth||Male||Sanskrit|
|Axel||Father of peace||Male||Hebrew|
|Bella||My God is a vow||Female||Hebrew|
|Billy||Will, desire, helmet, protection||Male||Germanic|
|Binky||Field of Beans||Unisex||English|
|Bram||The father of many nations||Male||Hebrew|
|Brownie||Moist chocolate cake with nuts||Unisex||English|
|Buster||American name||Male||American English|
|Chaos||For energetiс dogs||Unisex||Greek|
|Chewie||Does your dog constantly chew on something?||Unisex||English|
|Christie||Follower of Christ||Female||Latin|
|Conway||Hound of the plain||Male||English|
|Crash||For crazy dogs||Unisex||English|
|Cupid||God of sexual love||Unisex||Latin|
|Dakota||The allies||Female||Native American|
|Dale||Dweller of the valley||Male||English|
|Dick||Strong, short for Richard||Male||English|
|Digger||If your dog likes digging||Male||English|
|Donatello||Given by God||Unisex||Latin|
|Dottie||Gift of God||Unisex||Greek|
|Duchess||From the Aristocrats||Unisex||English|
|Dudley||Wood or clearing||Male||English|
|Elsa||My God is a vow||Female||Hebrew|
|Flash||If you dog is extremely fast||Unisex||English|
|Fluffy||For long-haired dogs||Female||English|
|Foxy||For orange dogs||Unisex||English|
|Freckles||Dotted with small brownish spots||Unisex||English|
|Gail||Father is rejoicing||Female||Hebrew|
|Gavin||White hawk of battle||Male||Welsh|
|Goober||Southern US term for peanut. Also chocolate-covered peanuts||Unisex||English|
|Hugo||Mind, heart, or spirit||Male||Germanic|
|Immanuel||God is with us||Male||Hebrew|
|Jack||God is gracious||Male||Hebrew|
|Otis||One who hears well||Male||Greek|
|Padfoot||AfterSirius Black from Harry Potter||Unisex||English|
|Pixie||A fairy-like creature. Playful and mischievous||Female||English|
|Ted||Gift of God||Male||Greek|
|Teddy||Gift of God||Male||Greek|
|Toby||God is good||Unisex||Hebrew|
|Tootsie||A girl or a young woman||Unisex||English|
|Wilfredo||A wish for peace||Male||English|
|Willie||Will, desire, helmet, protection||Male||Germanic|
Wonderful dogs like the Dachshund deserve wonderful names. Compared to other dogs, it’s actually quite easy to find a fitting name for a Dachshund because they have many unique traits that will surely make the name game easier for you.
You can either pick a name that highlights their short legs, their sausage-shaped body, or their shiny coat.
Many of the names we’ve included in the lists above were inspired by such one-of-a-kind characteristic, but you don’t have to limit your imagination. How about giving them a name that underlines their floppy ears? If you’re not one to be concerned about outward appearances, how about naming them after their excitable and exuberant nature?
You can also name them after their surprisingly solid hunting skills. Don’t let others look down on your dog. Just because they don’t look like they can run fast, doesn’t mean they really can’t. Dachshunds are skilled hunters.
They are hard to beat when it comes to flushing out badgers in the wild. In an urban setting, that ability translates to a rodent-free house. Quite the amazing dogs, aren’t they?
What kind of personality or other unique traits does your Dachshund have? Which one of the many awe-inspiring aspects of your dog do you choose to focus on?
Let us know which name you ultimately decided on in the comments box below! If we missed any good names, don’t hesitate to let us know. Your opinion matters to us.