What can Yorkies eat from human food: Yorkie’s which are also known as the Yorkshire terriers are a special breed of dogs that are small in size but are quite big in their personality. They are popularly called the America toy breed because of its super devotion to its owner with its elegant looks and its suitability to living in the apartment.
The majority of dog owners ask different questions about what they can feed their dogs because most pet parents face the problem of giving their pet the proper and balanced diet which is needed for their growth and development.
If as a pet parent you are faced with the dilemma of either feeding your dog human food or dog food, this article has been written to provide you with what your Yorkshire terrier can eat from human food.
Also read: Best Dog Food for Picky Yorkie
Can I feed my dog human food instead of dog food?
Yes, as a dog parent you can feed your dog with regular human food. Food is food, but it is very essential that you know what is good and bad for your dog, as some human food might be very harmful and cause severe intestinal issues and long term health problems to your dog.
You can feed your dog with human food such as cooked grains, meat fish, vegetables, etc. It is very important to also know that dogs’ interest with food varies, some dogs are picky or selective eaters while some are voracious eaters. In this case, it is very important to know what your dog finds pleasure in eating.
When feeding your dog with human food of any kind, it is very necessary that you ensure that the human food is composed of the essential vitamins and nutrients that are needed for healthy and glowing skin and coat and also for proper well-being. Don’t just feed your dog with scraps or leftovers, our canine companion deserves more than this.
What can I give my dog for breakfast?
The majority of dog parents oftentimes face the problem of what to feed their dog for breakfast and some dog parents since they do not have answers to this question, feed their dog what comes their way and this makes your dog loss appetite for food. This is in no way ideal as some food is well suited to be given as breakfast.
Some of the food that is best suited for you to give your dog as breakfast includes:
- Apples: Apples are very nutritious for both human and your canine companion as it provides a good source of vitamin A and C. It is important to note that when you feed your dog with apple, remember to remove the core and the seed after then you can feed your dog slices of the apple pumpkin and Sweet Potatoes: Pumpkin and potatoes are a good source of vitamin A and beta-carotene which effectively helps your dog manage its digestive system.
- Yogurt: They are rich in protein and they are very good for the growth and development of your dog. However, it is necessary to avoid yoghurts which are made with high sugar and preservative contents as they can be very harmful to your dog’s health
- Salmon: Salmon is very rich in omega 3 which effectively helps your dog with skin and coat protection and also give him or her a shining and glowing skin and coat
- Peas and green beans: This contains potassium, vitamin K and Vitamin C in good quantities. They are both low in calories and are a good source of healthy nutrients.
- Pasta and Rice: They are good sources of energy because of their carbohydrate content. It is important to avoid feeding your dog with acidic of fatty sauces.
Why you shouldn’t feed your dog with human food
Feeding your dog with human food is in no way wrong but it is necessary you avoid him or her some certain human food because of its effects on their digestive system. Some of these foods are poisonous and harmful to the health of your dog and they must be avoided.
Some of the human food which is harmful to your dog include:
- Xylitol contained products or food Such as Peanuts, butter, lollies, sugar-free gum, etc. Xylitol based products are very harmful to your dog.
- Avocado: The seed, leaves, fruit and bark contain persin which affects dogs but in rare cases. It causes intestinal tract issues and also indigestion
- Coffee, Tea, Chocolate: This contains caffeine, theophylline or Theobromine which can cause serious intestinal issues that can lead to vomiting and diarrhea. They are also very toxic to the heart and the nervous system of your dog.
- Fish: Canned, raw or cooked fish, when fed to your dog in large amounts, can lead to vitamin B deficiency and ultimately results to loss of appetite, seizure and can lead to death when in large quantity
- Grapes, Currants, and raisins: This fruit contains a very harmful toxin which can cause severe kidney problem and eventually damage to your dog’s kidney
- Mushrooms: It causes damage to multiple systems in your dog and might eventually, in the long run, lead to death.
- Onions and Garlic: It contains sulfoxides and disulfides which can damage the red blood cell and also causing anaemia which is a blood disease.
- Raw eggs: It contains a particular enzyme that decreases the absorption of biotin. This leads to your dog developing severe skin and coat problems.
Also read: Cheap Raw dog Food Recipes
Final word on what you Yorkshire can eat from human food
Our canine companion deserves the best most especially your Yorkshire terrier which will go any length in protecting you irrespective of the risk involved.
Proper nutrition and diet are important for the growth and development of your canine companion and in regards to this you have to carefully select the most suitable food for your terrier.
As beneficial as human food is to your terrier so also it can be very harmful to their health. In lieu of this, it is very important to carefully select what you feed your dog with.