‘The dog is king,’ said King Henry VIII.
A dog’s greatest strength is its ability to forgive.
Why Dog Quotes Are So Popular
Recently, a friend asked me to write a list of dog quotes. I had intended to set up some way of doing this, but in the end I had a completely different idea.
The first thing to note is that no matter how good you try to make your list, it is always going to be less impressive than an actual conversation with the owner of the dog.
And no matter how well you try to get the content right, you can’t really anticipate what will make for a funny quote or interesting anecdote. The best thing is just to provide a few examples that worked for you.
- “My dog eats everything.”
- “I walk my dog every day.”
- “My cat sits on my lap and watches me eat.” (not so funny — but I didn’t know what else to say!)
Here are some more ideas:
- “I love dogs so much that I eat them when they’re dead.”
- “When I was 8 years old, my parents brought home a puppy. When he disappeared at night, we searched for him until morning came and our search was hopeless!” (This one may have been inspired by an analogy with Jesus)
When we were kids… we were gonna grow up and buy our own doggy restaurant! We named it ‘Pup’…’cause dogs were popular back then!” (The next time someone tells me they are doing something related to this topic, tell them about this one.)
If you want more items like these:
- “Since we got our first goat last year… it has been impossible for me not to eat it!”
- “How come your cat can only sit on your lap?”
- “What do you think makes this nice little soup smell so good?” etc., etc., etc.
If nothing else, just share some of these things with people who have a particular interest in dogs or other animals — they will appreciate them. It is never too late to fall in
The Most Liked Dog Quotes on Pinterest
The most popular dog quotes on Pinterest are often the ones we’ve heard before. Here are some of our favorites:
- “You can only be yourself in someone else’s world. You cannot change it.”
- “The best way to control your destiny is to create your own.”
- “You don’t need a lot of friends, but you do need a lot of dogs.”
- “Remember the reason why you were born — because you were meant to live and love and be happy.”
- “If you don’t believe in yourself, who will?”
- “If something happens to me, I want someone who will cry for me.”
Do you have any others? Join the discussion about best dog quotes here!
The Best Dog Quotes for Your Instagram Bio
If you are using an Instagram meta description, it’s worthwhile to consider including some examples of good dog quotes from the world of literature. It can help you express yourself in a way that most people will hopefully find interesting.
- “It was a great night for a big yawn.” – Antonio Banderas
- “Goodnight, my darling, and I will dream of you.” – Oscar Wilde
- “If you want someone to love you, let them read this book first.” – Oscar Wilde
- “His smile was the most perfect thing in the world.” – Jeanette Winterson
- “Have courage and live life as if it were war.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “I have never met anyone so loyal or friendly as my dogs are!” – Ayn Rand
- “You can either walk with God or walk on His heels; no one else can take you there.” – Oscar Wilde
- “If I found a glass pendant hanging from the wall, I would put it back where I found it; if I found a glass pendant on the floor, I would pick it up; if I found three glass pendants on the floor, I would put them back where they came from; if I found two glass pendants on the wall, however, I would hang them somewhere else and leave them somewhere else until next time. If this does not work out at least once every 24 hours, then we have failed as men.” – Marc Andreessen
- “I am looking forward to living many more years with other people like me!’ – Ludwig van Beethoven
- Best dog quotes for your Instagram bio: “There is no such thing as bad weather except when there is bad dancing.” – George S. Merrick
How to Use Dog Quotes to Your Advantage on Twitter
Twitter is an excellent medium for the spread of dog quotes. Here are some of the best ones I can find.
- “What the dog wants and what he does not want, that is what we must be careful not to do.” – Albert Einstein
- “No man ever demands more of a woman than her character and disposition allow her to give.” – Charles Dickens
- “The animal must be treated with care and respect, otherwise it will grow tired of being coddled, and will throw you out when it feels strong enough to do so.” – Margaret Fuller
- “It is far better to have a dog in every port than no dogs at all.” – Thomas Jefferson
- “The dog is the most faithful companion that walks with man.” – Sir Walter Scott (1771-1832), Scottish author
- “The dog has a great affection for his master, but he fears him more than man fears death.”― William Shakespeare (1564-1616), English playwright
- “A good dog can never lack charity, but a bad one cannot find it.” – Benedict of Aniane (1148-1226), Italian saint
- “A bad heart comes from too much love, but too little love from too little good.” – Thomas Carlyle (“The French Revolution”)
- “A bad countryman makes a bad friend; A good one makes one good for life” – David Hume (“Characteristics of Men and States”)
- “To understand a man you must walk beside him for years. Not only can you never know him entirely well by looking at him once in his lifetime, but you never fully know yourself until long after you have ceased looking at him once in your lifetime” – Henry David Thoreau (“Civil Disobedience”)
- “I am happy because I am not afraid. The fear which makes me afraid cannot keep me here on earth.” – Albert Schweitzer (1875-1965), German theologian
- (“World Peace Is Possible”) “There is no virtue without humility, nor vice without rectitude.” – Cicero (‘On Divination’)
In closing, I want to highlight some of the best and most powerful quotes that we have designed for our internal use (and then used on other teams). They are, at their core:
• “I don’t know why it isn’t obvious to everyone that there are no best dog quotes sayings”
• “Your product is better than it was yesterday. That’s good. But your product is still not good enough to be overpriced. That’s bad. Now do something about it”
If you want to read more about these quotes, please check out www.dogquotesquotes.com
There are many more of these that I haven’t included here but you can find them in our book Dog Quotes for Product Managers.