House training can be the biggest step to training your puppy to co-exist with you. Simply put, if you love your puppy, it is time you get the little one to be always around you, comprehending your moods en route through commands and actions to grow up healthy and steady.
One of the most effective ways to get your puppy to be trained into anything starts right when he walks into your house for the very first time. Now, don’t be the fussy parent at this moment because you will not achieve anything, en route. So, teach him through care and genuine consideration for his age to understand the manners and habits of the world.
Unless you are living out in the wild like a nomad, you have no option but to teach him the golden rules of your own house and en route, his little crate or den as well. At this stage, one can instil methods of educating the puppy about the enthusiasm of keeping the home neat and clean for the happiness and safety of the self.
What does house training your puppy mean?
House training a puppy is termed as the act of teaching a pup to remain non-violent, adaptive and aware of being indoors amongst delicate objects and its concrete locations. House training teaches a dog to realise the art of walking and running around the house without harming any of the valuable things inside the house.
Another most important aspect of house training lies in educating your dog to control his bowel movements so as to never eliminate in the house. A properly house trained dog can stay indoors without eliminating as a religious routine forever. If your dog is above 12 months old and has a history of eliminating almost never during the past 6 months, your dog is housetrained. The maturity and awareness of growing a healthy pup is based on its ability to record and follow habits as taught or commanded.
Right from the first step into your house as a pup, you must call the little guy by his name. Again, and again and louder and appreciatively, call him by his name! This is not a teaching method based on incessant scolding and punishments, but a comprehensible, acknowledging and gentle method of teaching a little thing to respond. Always keep in mind that your pup is prone to being naughty and hyperactive all the while. So, you must not try to shun his activity and energy through fear and aggression, but love and clarity.
The right time to start housetraining your puppy with all the complicated behaviours and mannerisms of a disciplined family is from the moment he starts to walk, peep and explore the space around him. Start by making him aware where to potty.
Firstly, pooping and peeing is a sensitive and anonymous emotion to little ones, so help him out by guiding and showing the perfect place or the paper training, after potty. Training a pup into doing his potty outside takes just a week or two at the most. However, the reliability of your pup to follow the habits, without fail or during extreme moments should be observed after proper growth of about 12 months, without any accidents, whatsoever!
House break your puppy in 7 days
For a mature and old dog, it will be difficult to ever rely on him taking up the habit of proper and healthy pooping and peeing however strenuous the teaching happens to be. Hence, one must help, teach and acknowledge your puppy to adhere to healthy habits of pooping and peeing.
Housebreaking a puppy is a reliable and effective technique that employs various methods of teaching through the support of other growths of your puppy as well. With house training your pup, you will gift him a new home, a crate, a bowl, his tastes will change and grow and he will choose out positions of comfort, happiness and relief at various places. To teach your puppy how to enjoy his crate, read our article on crate training your puppy.
Some techniques to employ to housebreak your puppy in 7 days is through the implementation of the steps as given below.
Introducing your puppy to the environment: Day 01
Your little pup has no idea of what the difference of humans and dogs are that, at the moment it is all just feast for the eye, so aid him rather than choke him with newness. Learn to be always careful to prevent moments of isolation of your pup when he is just a few weeks old. Always have someone present to take care of him reactions and virgin accidents with the new reality of your four-walls.
Introducing your puppy to the new environment takes a lot of dedication and love to train him into your little obedient and happy son. With proper housetraining, comes the proper feeding and biological health or stability of your dog. The little one has bare understanding of what lying down or standing up properly is that he might collapse after a thorough work out, wherever he stands. Your puppy does not know what is right and wrong to you or us humans and it is not an art taught in an hour, two or three!
One must teach the puppy to be house-trained gradually and properly. The first should be joyful, memorable and stunning for your pup’s growth, so be with him all throughout the day!
Learning to communicate through his accidents: Day 01-03
With the advent of newer limits to his sight, smells and boundaries, your little puppy will start to learn movements, actions and routines as you teach him. With the new tang to everything around and the innate clumsiness of the first few weeks of movements, your puppy will naturally trip, fall and be the innocent culprit of all helter-skelter in the house. Instead of behaving irrationally and erratic, one must learn to communicate properly through these sessions of accidents.
Whenever your puppy breaks something or does things he is not supposed, talk to him softly but with bitter true commanding about the wrongs, he has done. Gradually and with repeated emphasis, your puppy will soon learn what you dislike and like. Carry on these long talks until day three.
Avoid hard punishments and scolds: Day 01- forever
Like George Carlin says, your pup’s thinking and storage ability of the brain is definite only in short moments. The moment you walk out of the house, the little one thinks that you’re gone forever without the slightest hope of ever coming back. Then, when you appear, it jumps and rejoices as if you’ll never go away! Remember while housetraining your puppy that pups are indeed one beautiful thing to co-exist with, so avoid circumstances of losing your temper on that little guy who will seriously be sure that it is but the end of his world!
Maintain a potty journal of your pup: Day 01- infinity
An important thing to do once you want to train your puppy properly is to have an idea of your puppy’s potty timings. This will aid you considerably in helping your puppy prevent the accidents of eliminating around the house. Hence, maintain a regularly update journal of his pee and poop times. You can also make this process a bit easier through the use of pee pads. Check out our article on pad training to get your puppy started on the right paw.
Maintain a feeding schedule: Day 01- infinity
Along with the potty clock, one should note a regular feeding time, food and quantity, regularly. This helps in keeping you aware of the how healthy, full or energetic your dog is while housetraining your puppy. A thorough physical awareness of your dog is necessary to determine what is a good time or a bad time to teach him things. If your pup is too small, just let him sleep in peace.
If you’d like to learn how to set one up, check out our article on creating a puppy feeding schedule.
Create Commands: Day 02-07
Firstly, start calling your pup by the name you intend to call him. This is the primary step of all teaching and training, as aforementioned. Pups have a reasonably well evolved set of understanding for the commands and gestures. Hence, provide easy and correct commands each time at the right moment, so that your pup associates the command with the same action you intend him to do.
Create commands with the same pitch and tone like, ‘outside’, ‘no’, ‘good boy’, ‘sit’ and others. Never be harsh or scolding-like in your tone or gesture to the little guy. This will shatter his sense of understanding rather than emphasise.
Crate train your pup: Day 03-07
An important and effective wait to help your little guy find a place all safe to himself as well as cosy for his mighty little body at night, in peace, is a crate. There are various types of crates as well locations of crates and guidelines to follow while crate training your puppy. In brief, make sure that the crate you purchase goes alongside the pup’s comfort and safety as well.
In order to increase your pup’s relation and association with the crate, you must keep tasty and surprise treats so that he starts to realise the meaning of his den. Additionally, never put him in the crate forcibly or as a punishment time. This can grow your pup’s attitude to be violent and depressive.
Train him to stay away from you or at night: Day 03-07
With training your pup to obey commands in neutral tone without fear or dominion, train him further to stay independent. Often, it is just impossible to leave your little guy alone or dark in the night, if he chooses to stay in his bedroom. This is where a good crate will make the perfect option of a space for him to trust the darkness of his crate and sleep off.
All the same, keeping the potty schedule will teach you when to have walk at night to poop or pee. Specific guidelines to stay alone at night or long on his own is by establishing a place he associates with safety, relaxation and rest.
Start these sessions of isolation whenever housetraining your puppy with these figures in mind,
- 9 to 10 week old puppies should be trained to be left alone for 30-60 minutes per day;
- 11 to 14 week old puppies should be trained to be left alone for one to 3 hours per day;
- 15 to 16 week old puppies should be trained to be left alone for three to four hours per day;
- All puppies that are 17 weeks or older should be taken care to be never kept in a crate for more than 4 hours;
Watch for signs in your pup: Day 01-infinity
Now, with all those things observed, the next step is to observe your pup’s health and reactions with the routine and habits. Find ways to diagnose any ailment that is extreme, if you notice any. Consult your veterinarian, if you feel something is awry.
Acknowledge your puppy for he is not the arrogant cat
Play, pat and clap him every time he does something right or beautiful. Remember, he considers you the god of his life, how much-so-ever dram he does!
To brief the advantages of house training your puppy,
- Good behavior and attitude
- Healthy communication
- Psychological stability
- Personal hygiene that is healthy and stable
- Obedience which changes to growing up and a priceless friendship
- A member of the family
- A perpetual guardian and lover of the family
Disadvantages of improper house training:
- Aggressive behavior
- No communication/ confusion or miscommunication
- Perpetual fear
- Emotional and physical instability
- Sicknesses and allergies
- Violent behavior that requires perpetual caging up without training
Without proper awareness about the kind of special health care for your pup and its well-being, you must never separate it from its mother in order to start training for your selfish reasons.
Always look for maturity, readiness and activity quotient of your dog by politely asking him, if he wants to play, before assuming that the only way the relationships works is if he is the best friend or watchdog!
Issues of house breaking – understanding your puppy
There are some problems you can face:
- Dietary problems: one of the most common problems during house training a dog is the horrible phase when your little guy has dietary problems of digestion and others. These medical cases result from deficiencies or undergrowth of your pup. One must regularly check the pup’s comfort and regulation of digestion in the stomach for citing dietary problems when house training your puppy.
- Bowel problems: watching out the poop and pee as well as its regularity can help a person determine the health of their dog’s tummy. Loose motions, constipation and diarrhea tends to result for improper diet or fatigue in the dog due to medical problems. Keep a look out for his poop and pee so that you have the notes of it regularly saved.
- Communication trouble: sometimes the insufficient or abnormal vent out of communication and its feelings can create trouble in behavior as well as feeding as well as potty in little pups. One must encourage the pup to play and sleep equally; so that he does not lose it all in one go.
- Allergy: these tend to result from unique biological structure of your pup or seasonal causes. Make sure you have veterinarian updated with your pup’s health always regardless of whenever you house train your puppy.
- Orthopedic problems: sometimes, your dog will find it unpleasant or unbearable to squat. This usually becomes a problem during proper house training session where the dog fails to complete tasks owing to its pain that it never complains about. One must consult the physician in such cases.
- Urinary tract infection (UTI): in all dogs with UTI, house training becomes a routine practice to achieve any success. Keep posted with your veterinarian to be aware of the right health marks of your pup.
- Incomplete training: another cause of alarm during the phase of training your pup to get acquainted to the twisting and turning corners of your house is because of the incomplete or confusing learning that you have provided to your pup. Improper training causes more problems than no teaching at all.
- Trouble of territory marking: if a dog finds it impossible to mark his territory, he become depressed and confused about his belonging. Potty training outside is always a reliable option in the early stages of teaching.
One must understand that all puppies are delicate little creatures with growing sense of communication and linguistic ability. Take care never to burden your puppy with too much information that you confuse him entirely when house training your puppy. This can render a lot of damage in the behavioral issues and relationship with your puppy. Always be aware of all growth and changes in your pup and be posted up with your veterinarian perpetually. Good Luck!